East Midlands Airport Security
Don’t let the thought of getting through East Midlands Airport security overwhelm you; luckily as it’s a smaller airport, the process should take less time and it should be less busy; win-win!
However, we understand that a lot of people will have several questions when it comes to the process so we have aimed to answer them, starting with;
“How long should I give myself to get through the airport?”
To allow yourself sufficient time to get checked in, drop your bags, get through security and possibly have a browse through Duty-Free before making your way to the gate, we suggest leaving yourself the following;
Hand Luggage – What you can and can’t pack
“What size bag can I use for hand luggage?”
“What am I allowed in my hand luggage?
Don’t worry; you’re not the only one asking the above questions! Below, we give you the answers to this, plus two other commonly asked questions.
In addition to the above;
- As a rule, if an item is too heavy or large to go in your hand luggage, move it to your hold luggage if you have it. This way, you avoid either having to ditch the item or paying an over-inflated price to get it on the plane.
- Check with your airline first, but most will allow musical instruments on as a secondary piece of hand luggage.
- Make sure electronic devices such as tablets, iPads and laptops are removed from their case prior to being placed in the x-ray tray.
- Pushchairs, wheelchairs and other mobility aids are permitted through security, but they too are subject to screening.
- Only one bag of liquids per person. Liquids that do not fit in the bag size stated above will need to go into the hold.
Medicines and Baby food
- If you’re taking any liquid medicines exceeding than 100ml, just make sure you have a doctors note stating why
- If you are carrying syringes, you can take them in your hand luggage provided you can prove medical necessity with that all-important doctors note
- Enough baby food and milk to last the journey is also allowed through.
Duty-Free / departure lounge purchases
- Liquid items of all sizes purchased after security can be taken on to the aircraft. However, you are not permitted to drink alcohol purchased in the airport on the plane.
- Retain your proof of purchase throughout your journey as you will be required to show it at all transfer points if applicable.
East Midlands Airport Security – Prohibited Items
|Flammable liquids and solids||Oxidisers|
|Organic peroxides||Gas cylinders|
|Infectious substances||Wet car cell batteries|
|Instruments containing magnets||Instruments containing mercury|
|Non-safety matches, firelighters, lighter fuel||Paints, thinners|
|Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller||Acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda|
|Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper||Radioactive materials|